1.16.2008

Not As Good As It First Was


Well...it seems like we can't even trust our meat any more. The U.S. Administration has decided that meat providers do NOT have to provide label saying which is cloned meat and which is "natural" meat. Needless to say, I am highly upset at this tomfoolery.

Since when should I be comfortable with eating cloned meat? Why can't I have the natural meat that was not conceived in a science lab? I pay high prices for good, quality meat, and if I believe that cloned meat is not of quality, why shouldn't I be able to distinguish which is which?

While I do believe if they did have to provide labeling, meat companies would try to charge extra for "natural" meat, I still would like to know what meat I'm eating. The cloning technique isn't foolproof either. What should I do if I get some bad cloned meat in me? Will the same "natural" medicine treat me, or would I need to invest in some "cloned" meds? Too many questions...too few answers.

Cloning meat does have its benefits though. With the cloning of meat, you can essentially feed more people at a cheaper price (eventually). With more people being fed, then you can stop draining the animal wildlife, letting more grow naturally and in the wild, upping the game for hunters.

However, I don't see this happening. Because Americans have the tendency to be overly greedy, I see more meat being put on the shelves than consumers can buy. This will lead to the waste of meat that could be used to feed the poorer countries. But I forget, we don't care about other countries as long as we are taken care of.

I'm still against cloned meat, even with it's benefits. I want to know that meat is natural meat. Cloned meat is like a hand-me-down: it's not as good as it first was.

No comments: